Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Somewhere Saint Vidicon is laughing

My brother, bless his heart and may Saint Vidicon watch over him, left me his pricey paperweight...er, the HP laptop with the Vista system. It has been an education in and of itself, with more learning coming up quickly on the horizon.

If ever I get a laptop again, I am going to go into a computer store on an off day in a dead time so I can sit and play with the keyboard. I keep wanting to go left on this one and end up playing endlessly with the capslock key.

Anyhow, his plaintive wail as he headed towards his new job was, Make it work, O please make it work. And make all of those annoying popup thingies go away. Did I mention that he has a Norton security system? I keep looking for a way to convince the system that the very act of wanting to go online is, well, proof positive that I really want to go online. So why does it keep asking me if I really want to go out there? And every time I want to download anything it squalls and squeals and asks if I really truly mean it. Good grief, this is why I rid my system of it lock stock and bitter barrel. The last time Norton played nicely was when I was running Windows 95.

And his trackball is irritating too, but he knows that.

What is absolutely hysterical are the wise nodding owls in the background. What's Mom doing? She's fixing our Uncle's computer. Cool. And I have to keep qualifying that I am NOT fixing anybody's computer; I don't have enough system savvy to do anything like fix something. I'm doing what was requested: I'm playing with the system and figuring out practical ways of dealing with it. I'm also advocating for Apple or Linux with every fibre of my being. I run Windows and I have liked or at least amicably endured everything through XP, but Vista is driving me to drink and I don't even own this computer.

No comments: