Friday, October 14, 2011

Gearing Up Again!

Brief post: It's that time of year again, when the lure of the hastily and very badly written novel becomes well nigh overwhelming. Yes, it's tad over two weeks before NaNoWriMo and I am looking forward to splattering words all over my computer screen the way I used to splatter mud all over whatever was in the vicinity. At least this activity doesn't involve parents making me clean up and apologize!

Last year I went in completely unstructured, which usually works, but I also went in without my usual clear idea of what I wanted to write about, which in this case was an unmitigated disaster. This year my story idea bit me and then started dictating structure before I even agreed to write about it. Pushy little beast! Pithily put, this idea wants to be a tightly structured set of interconnected stories rather than a strict novel. Okay, I'm game. I'll have to come up with prologues, epilogues, and transition pieces along with the 6 interconnected pieces. I've never done this sort of thing before, but what the heck, it sounds interesting. And who knows? The whole conceit may fall by the wayside by the end of November. There's no telling what an author could come up with once they take that headlong plunge.

She's a starship, she's about to become fully sentient, and we're already arguing over names.

No comments: